Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

This is another recipe I got from a neighbor, even though there are plenty of recipes I could pin for it.  I was never a big fan of Spaghetti Squash when I was younger. My mom would even make it with brown sugar and I still wouldn't eat it. But a few months ago my neighbor made Spaghetti Squash and added marinara and italian sausage and skeptical as I was I loved it! And it's super easy to make.

What you need:

1 Spaghetti Squash
1 jar of pasta sauce
Italian sausage, meatballs or ground beef

Directions:

I cooked my spaghetti squash in the microwave since that's the way  my mom always cooked it, but the food network says you can also bake it in the oven or boil it in a pot.

I placed my squash in a corningware dish with about an inch of water in it and used a large knife to make three slits in the top to help it steam.  Then place saran wrap loosely over the top (so it can rise) but make sure it is secured on all sides.

The after picture (I forgot to take one before)

Cook on high 20-30 minutes, until it is soft and dents when you lightly push on it.



When it is cool enough to handle place the squash on a cutting board and slice in half lengthwise. Spoon out the seeds in the middle and the "gunk".  Be careful not to scoop out the actual squash.




After the seeds are out, spoon the "spaghetti" out of the squash and top with sauce and meet.


4 comments:

  1. It never occured to me that I could cook it in the microwave. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my first experience with spaghetti squash....not pretty I didn't know I was supposed to cook it first,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 5 servings, but that changes with the size of the squash.

      Delete